If you are looking for a refreshing alternative to your cooked oats, look no further! These creamy lemon overnight oats are perfect for a quick summer breakfast.
We love oatmeal but when the weather gets warmer, the thought of cooking oats is less than desirable. That’s why we love overnight oats. And – these creamy lemon overnight oats are versatile! There are so many ways to change up the flavours and ingredients depending on what is in season.
By soaking the oats overnight, you can skip the cooking stage so you have a healthy grab and go breakfast. Add fruit, yogurt, nuts or other tasty ingredients with your favourite plant based milk and oats in a mason jar, shake and store in the fridge. When you wake up you’ll have tasty and nutritious breakfast waiting for you.
This overnight oats recipe uses lemon and coconut. The coconut adds creaminess and the lemon is super refreshing. Coconut is also energy boosting. Lemon is also alkalizing to the body and gives a boost to the immune system.
The fibre in oats is a soluble fibre, which helps to scoop up and absorb excess cholesterol and toxins in order to help eliminate them. Oats are also a good source of many minerals such as zinc and magnesium. Most people don’t associate oats with their antioxidant capabilities, but they are actually high in an antioxidant called Avenanthramide. This antioxidant has been shown to help reduce high blood pressure. For more information on the benefits of antioxidants, please see our Wellness Post: Antioxidants and Foods Containing Them. The chia seeds in this overnight oats recipe not only help to thicken up the oats, but also provide a good source of essential omega 3 fats.
If you are looking for another overnight oats recipe, try our Nut Butter Overnight Oats. Our Vegan Super Greens Smoothie is another great start to your day. If you try these creamy lemon overnight oats, please let us know how much you love them and what toppings you used. We love to see your feedback. Leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked. Don’t miss breakfast!
- 1 cup slow cooking rolled oats
- 1½ cups plant based mylk (we used almond milk)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- ½ large lemon, juiced +zest of full lemon
- If you are using a vanilla bean, slice it in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Zest 1 lemon. Cut the lemon in half and juice ½ a lemon.
- Place the oats, mylk, chia seeds, maple syrup, coconut, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla in a jar with a lid. Shake to combine.
- Place the jar in the fridge overnight. In the morning, divide between 2 bowls.
- Top with additional coconut, chopped nuts, seeds or fruit of your choice.