This Coconut Curry Chickpea Masala is a recipe that you can pull together quickly and easily on a weeknight! It utilizes pantry ingredients like prepared spice blends, coconut milk and canned chickpeas.
We pull this meal together on a weeknight when we are craving a comforting, nutritious, tasty meal. We use canned Eden Organic chickpeas, which come in a BPA free. They are cooked using Kombu (seaweed) instead of salt. The Kombu aids in rendering the beans more digestible and less gas-producing.
When making any curry recipes it is important to use fresh spices from a good brand. We used spice blends from Arvinda’s in this recipe. They are a local company to us in Canada and they also sell their spices online. The quality of the spices really do make all the difference!
This Coconut Curry Chickpea Masala dish is slightly spicy. You can reduce the amount of curry masala to 1 tsp for a milder dish. The light coconut milk, along with the coconut yogurt provide a rich, creamy sauce with a light coconut flavour. These also aid to reduce the spiciness.
If you are looking for other quick preparation meals, try out our Simple Weeknight Marinara Sauce. Although it take slightly longer, our Vegan Mushroom Cream Sauce with Truffle Oil is TOTAL COMFORT food.
When you try this amazingly flavourful and quick coconut chickpea curry masala, let us know what you think. Did you try more or less curry masala? Did you have it on rice or quinoa? How about part of a buddha bowl? Leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked. Dive in and enjoy!
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry masala
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- Prep all the ingredients. Heat coconut oil in Dutch oven or deep frying pan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and salt and sauté for about 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring a few times.
- Add curry masala and garam masala. Stir for about a minute. Add tomatoes and stir for another minute.
- Add chickpeas, yogurt and coconut milk and stir until smooth. Bring curry to a boil and then turn back the heat to a low simmer.
- Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas and spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or quinoa. Enjoy!