This Greek Chickpea Salad is an easy dish to meal prep on the weekend. It’s full of protein rich chickpeas and fibre. We make this on Sunday so that we have something easy to add to our lunch or dinner during the week. It’s also great to eat as a healthy snack between meals.
This Greek Chickpea Salad has all the flavours that you like about Greek Salad but ditches the dairy (feta). The olives and sundried tomatoes provide all the Unami flavour that you could want! We used canned chickpeas from Eden Organic to make this food prep easier. However, you can certainly use dried chickpeas that you have already prepared. If you are using canned beans, ensure they are organic and come in a BPA free can. Many cans have a BPA lining, which has been shown to be an Endocrine (hormones) disruptor. Another reason we choose the Eden Organic brand is because they prepare the beans with Kombu (seaweed), which helps to remove the ‘gassiness’ in the beans.
Like all of our salads, we like to bump up the nutrition by adding lots of vegetables and herbs. In the case of this Greek Chickpea Salad, we’ve added celery, onions, peppers and tomatoes. We chose not to include watery vegetables such as fresh tomatoes and cucumber. These don’t hold up as well if you’re planning to store the salad in the refrigerator for use later in the week. However, if you are planning to eat it the same day, feel free to substitute halved grape tomatoes and other veg for the sun-dried tomato – or use them all! Salads are versatile!
Along with a little good quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, we added some tahini. Tahini is made of ground sesame seeds and is a whole food fat. Seseme seeds are very rich in calcium. Tahini and chickpeas are a classic hummus combination.
You may also like to try our Kale and Avocado Salad with Creamy Tahini Dressing, this Loaded Greek Quinoa Salad or this Ratatouille Pasta Salad. Perhaps you’re in the mood for a caesar salad with our Oil-Free Caesar Salad Dressing.
This Greek Chickpea Salad is great to take along as part of a healthy lunch. It’s also a great side with your dinner at home. We look forward to your comments. Leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked. Enjoy!
- 1 398 ml can chickpeas
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup sweet pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup sundired tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas. Place in a large bowl. If you are using fresh chickpeas, place about 1½ cups in a large bowl.
- Dice celery, sweet pepper, onion, sundried tomato, olives and parsley. Add to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- In another bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the salad in a glass storage dish and store in the refridgerator. The flavours will blend more with time. Use within about 5 days of preparing.