Made with artichokes, hearts of palm and chickpeas, these Vegan Crabless Cakes have a pleasing texture and are full of fibre AND flavour.
If you haven’t tried hearts of palm before, this vegan crabless cakes recipe is a good opportunity to experience them. Hearts of palm are a vegetable that is harvested from the inner core of certain species of palm trees. They are high in fibre and low in carbohydrates. They also contain a good amount of protein. They’re a good source of vitamins and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper and vitamin C. Potential benefits include better digestive health, balanced blood sugar and improved immunity.
The other high fibre stars in these crabless cakes are the artichokes and chickpeas. More and more research continues to demonstrate the importance of having a healthy gut microbiome. This is important not only for our physical body, but also for our brain. One of the ways to enhance the good bacteria in our gut is through increasing your fibre intake.
The condiments in this vegan crabless cakes recipe, such as the capers and dulse give these vegan crabless cakes a slightly salty sea taste. It’s all about flavour with any food that we eat, after all. If your food is flavourful, the texture is inviting on the palate and you’re with good company, this is what’s truly important. Add nutrition to the punch and you’re all set.
We believe that these vegan crabless cakes truly shine when paired with our vegan tartar sauce. It’s a perfect complement and we’re certain you’ll agree once you’ve tried it.
You can enjoy these crabless cakes as an appetizer or as a lighter main course with a spring greens salad with this Tahini Mustard Dressing. You might also want to try these White Bean and Artichoke Patties with this Indian Spiced Tomato Chutney. For more crunchiness, try out our Crispy Tofu Strips.
These Vegan Crabless Cakes are a great plant-based alternative. We want to hear what you think. Please leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked. Remember that eating well is a life-long priority.
Vegan Crabless Mixture
- 1 tbsp minced garlic 15 ml
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 30 ml
- 14 oz can hearts of palm 200 g drained
- 10 oz jar artichoke hearts 215 g drained
- 14 oz can chickpeas 250 g drained
- 2 tbsp capers 20 g
- ¼ cup vegan mayonaise 60 ml
- 2 tsp dijon mustard 10 ml
- 1 tbsp vegan worscestershire sauce 15 ml
- 2 tbsp dulse flakes 30 ml
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt 3.75 ml
- ½ tsp celery seed 2.5 ml
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper 1.25 ml
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning 15 ml
- ¼ cup green onion 60 ml
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh dill 60 ml
- ½ cup regular bread crumbs 180 ml
- ½ cup arrowroot starch 120 ml
- 6 tbsp plant-based mylk We find soy mylk works best
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar 7 ml
- 1 cup panko style bread crumbs 240 ml
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 ml
- 1 tsp paprika 5 ml
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 ml
- 1 tsp onion powder 5 ml
Vegan Tartar Sauce
- ½ cup Vegan Mayonaise 120 ml
- 2 tbsp Sweet Pickle Relish 30 ml
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard 4 ml
- 1 tbsp finely minced red onion 15 ml
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice 15 ml
- 1 dash fine sea salt
- ½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce 3 ml
- 1 dash freshly ground pepper
- Combine minced garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl to allow garlic to mellow
- Cut hearts of palm lengthwise into thin strips and cut strips into ½ inch lengths. Place these in a large mixing bowl. Chop artichoke hearts into very small pieces and add these to the mixing bowl. Mash chickpeas and capers with a potato masher or in a food processor so that some peices remain, and add these to the mixing bowl with the hearts of palm and artichoke hearts.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl with the exception of the arrowroot starch, plant-based mylk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine and form into patties using a one-third measuring cup. Place on a baking sheet and into the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Place the arrowroot starch in a small flat dish. Add the cider vinegar to the plant-based mylk and stir. It will thicken to a buttermilk like consistency. Place this in a second flat dish. Combine all breading ingredients and stir until oil is evenly incorporated and place this in a third flat dish.
- Remove patties from the freezer and, using one hand, coat each in arrowroot starch and dip in the 'buttermilk' mixture. Transfer the coated patties to the breadcrumb mixture. Using a spoon with your clean hand, cover the top of the patty with more bread crumbs and press them in gently with the back of the spoon. Using your clean hand, turn the pattie over and press the crumb mixture into the patty until it is evenly coated. Transfer to a parchment line baking sheet.
- Bake the crabless cakes for approimately 30 mintues or until golden brown and crispy.
- While the crabless cakes are baking, prepare the vegan tartar sauce by mixing all ingredients and placing in the refridgerator to chill.