We grew up with macaroni salad as a side for lunch or supper and this Classic Vegan Macaroni Salad is our take on that classic comfort food. Mouth-watering deliciousness straight up, healthier and easy-to-prepare.
We prepare a lot of very healthy recipes. But sometimes we just need some comfort food and this Classic Vegan Macaroni salad is just that. Growing up, the macaroni salad that we ate had a lot of Miracle Whip salad dressing, cubed ham and cheese. We ‘veganized’ this version and up-levelled the ingredients, while still keeping the classic taste.
We added a good dose of veggies with zucchini, peppers, onions and celery. The amount of mayo was also reduced by adding some other flavours. Apple cider vinegar is very rich in probiotics, which is good for the tummy. Make sure that you buy a good quality brand with the ‘Mother’.
You can make this Classic Vegan Macaroni Salad with a whole wheat macaroni or gluten free pasta as well. Just be sure to not overcook it because you want the macaroni to remain intact when you mix it.
For other salad inspirations, you can also try our Greek Chickpea Salad, or this Kale and Avocado Salad with Creamy Tahini Dressing. Or try this Loaded Greek Quinoa Salad or this Ratatouille Pasta Salad. Perhaps you’re in the mood for a caesar salad with our Oil-Free Caesar Salad Dressing.
This Classic Vegan Macaroni Salad will debut nicely on your next potluck. It’s also great to have in your fridge to take along for lunch on a work day or as a side dish. If you make this, we would love your feedback. Leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked.
- 250 grams uncooked macaroni
- ½ cup zucchini, diced
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup sweet peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp good quality relish
- 2 green onions, diced
- ½ cup organic vegan mayonnaise (or other vegan mayo)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package. Rinse and Drain.
- While the macaroni is cooking, dice the zucchini, celery, red onion and sweet pepper.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl.
- Add the diced veggies to the bowl. Add the relish.
- Add the macaroni and stir to combine well.
- Slice the green onions and sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. It is better chilled and when the salad has time for the flavours to combine.