We love creamy vegan potato salad in the summer, but prefer an alternative to using vegan mayo. This oil free cashew based dressing is perfect as a mayo replacement.
Potatoes sometimes get a bad rap. This is because they are usually served as french fries or slathered in condiments such as butter and sour cream. However, the potato, on its own, is actually a healthy vegetable! Potatoes are rich in fibre (especially in the skin) and potassium, which helps to moderate blood sugar. They are also rich in other minerals and vitamins such as B vitamins and vitamin C. Many people don’t associate potatoes with protein but 1 russet potato contains almost 5 grams.
We love to use potatoes as blank slate for other nutritious ingredients as well. For example, you can bake a potato and then top it with other ingredients for a balanced meal. We often top is with things such as black beans, vegetables, salsa and hummus as an example.
The dressing on this potato salad is oil-free and uses cashews as its base. Although there is fat in cashews, it is a preferred source over processed oils. This is because the fat is is from a whole food source. Therefore, it also contains the other fibre and nutrients contained in the nut.
The potato salad we grew up with (although delicious) had eggs in it but we omit them here. You will not miss them! You really can add any flavours that you like. Examples include relish, fresh parsley, capers or paprika. You can even add extra mustard if we want a little more tang.
We prefer to steam the potatoes so that they keep their shape better. We love to take this potato salad on a picnic, serve with veggie burgers for dinner, or it’s also a great dish to take to a pot luck.
You may also like to try this Avocado Dill Pasta Salad, Greek Chickpea Salad, this Loaded Greek Quinoa Salad or this Ratatouille Pasta Salad if you’re heading off to your next picnic or get-together with friends and family.
This Creamy Vegan Potato Salad will rock your next summer picnic! We look forward to your comments. Please leave a comment and a rating and don’t forget to tag us @plantedandpicked on Instagram and hashtag it #plantedandpicked. Enjoy!
- 1½ pounds potatoes (we used small red potatoes)
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup peppers (any colour you like), diced
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup soaked cashews
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Place cashews in bowl and cover with water. Let sit 2 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender, along with ¼ cup water and blend until creamy.
- Stop to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Place mayo in a bowl and set aside.
- Add potatoes to a steamer basket and steam for about 15 minutes, or until tender enough to be pierced by a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, dice red onion, celery and peppers. Slice green onions. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water.
- If using small potatoes, cut them into 4 pieces. If using larger potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks. Place in large bowl.
- Add peppers, celery, red onions, salt, pepper and dressing. Stir gently to combine. Top with green onions and enjoy!